South Jefferson Christian Church is not a part of any denomination, but is related to many other churches with similar heritage. We are a part of what is known as the Restoration Movement. Begun over 200 years ago, this movement can be summed up in one of our slogans: “We are not the only Christians, but Christians only.”
SJCC itself was begun in 1957 in a local elementary school by Shively Christian Church as a ministry to the Valley Station-Valley Village area of Louisville, KY. Shively’s preacher, Bro. Bill Gaslin, split time between the two congregations. It was not long until the South Jefferson church was able to call its own preacher and become independent.
Our mission 50 years later, while worded differently, has not changed. We exist to Point people to Christ; Transform people into Christ-likeness; Serve as Jesus would serve. Around here we simply say we exist to Point-Transform-Serve.